One of the reasons professional pest control in Jacksonville is so important is because of the pest we tend to forget about — termites. These sneaky insects bore into the wooden structure of people’s homes and sheds, chewing tunnels through and weakening said structure. At best, it costs homeowners thousands of dollars worth of damage. At worst, it could completely compromise the structural integrity of your home. Read on to learn more about termites and how Trad’s Pest Control can help you be termite-free today!
What Do Termites Look Like?
Scheduling a professional termite inspection is essential because noticing signs of termites are hard to spot. However, if you see swarms of insects in your home, they may be a termite swarm.
Below are some of the defining characteristics of these insects:
- Size: There are different kinds of termites in Jacksonville, such as drywood termites and subterranean termites. They all tend to range between three-eighths to a half-inch in length. Some can grow up to three-fifths of an inch, however.
- Body: Unlike ants, termites have very soft bodies and can’t carry the same weight as ants.
- Antennae: Termites have straight antennae, which can help when trying to determine if the insect in your home is a termite.
- Mandibles: The termite’s jaw, or mandible, will be profound, as they are powerful and capable of chewing through almost anything.
If you see termites in your home, it is time to contact pest professionals in Jacksonville. Seeing termites usually indicates that your infestation is severe and advanced.
What Is The Best Way To Identify Termite Damage
While a professional from Trad’s Pest Control can help you spot termites more efficiently, it is still a good idea for you to know the signs.
Below are some common symptoms of an infestation:
- Droppings: Termite droppings, also known as frass or pellets, are tiny and range from light beige to black in color. You may notice tiny pinpoint holes in the wall; these are exit holes termites use to kick their droppings out of the tunnels as they create them.
- Excessively creaky boards: If your floorboards have become unusually squeaky, this could also be a sign of termite damage caused by the weakened strength of the board.
- Stuck windows or doors: If any of your windows or doors feel ‘stuck’ and have difficulty opening, this could be a sign that you need to schedule a termite inspection as soon as possible.
- Mud tubes: These are pencil-sized mud tubes attached to your home. Subterranean termites use these tubes for protection when traveling to their food source or nest.
Make it a habit to regularly check your home and any other wooden structures you may have on your property. While preventing them is ideal, catching termites early can save you thousands.
Is There a Way To Prevent Termites For Good?
Fortunately, there is help with the fight against termites. One of the best things you can invest in as a homeowner is professional termite control; an expert technician will perform an inspection and then customize a treatment plan specifically for your home. Although many DIY methods are listed online, we do not recommend them. While many of these are just plain ineffective, some can actually attract more termites!
Professional Termite Control In Jacksonville
Since 1971, Trad’s Pest Control has provided Jacksonville residents with the most efficient and effective termite control. We pride ourselves on placing customer commitment, integrity, and generosity at the core of our operations. If you partner with us to help you keep the termites out of your home, you can count on receiving clear communication and the most advanced termite treatments available on the professional market. Additionally, your technician will work with you to implement prevention strategies unique to your home, therefore maximizing the value of the service. Don’t let termites destroy your home — give us a call today!